Sunday, March 04, 2007

"Remember, this is a comedy."


If there is anyone in a film I identify most with at this particular juncture in time it's Marcello Mastroianni in 8 1/2.
Hell, I'm even graying like that, and I'm now 6 years old that the character in the film! I'm between Big Silences (what I call "Silenceos", stolen from Mulholland Drive) Crazy Pesterings, Good Hearted Communications, Pressures That Are Eating Up My Soul, and Internal Monologs/Fantasies/Thoughts that few are privy to. Like Marcello, I'm just tryin' to move the ship forward. Granted I don't have near that many women in my life, though not that many fewer!, and I'm not cornering any of them with a bull whip! But the big Spaceship is being built for me in the background, whether I'm ready to shoot it or not. I'd like to think I can get everyone to hold hands in a big dance of life circle, but, wow, does that seem like a dream sequence! I hope I'm not crawling under the table to escape the ever-pressing mob, only to shoot myself underneath it! Still, there are chunks of the day that do seem scored by Nino Rota, so that's not so bad...

The post title refers to the little note that Fellini always kept on the camera in front of him while shooting...

3 comments:

vbspurs said...

Love the post, Ron!

But your sideburns are not nearly as grey as Mastroiannis. ;)

Cheers,
Victoria

FOUR DINNERS said...

"Comedy sir is a damn serious business"

Cynnie said...

I LOVE Marcello...and I LOVE Ronny stuffins..
it's just a win win here